Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Eat Your Veggies

I know, so many of my posts are about food...can I just say, quickly, how happy I am to be able to eat vegetables again. Specifically: salad. There's nothing more refreshing and satisfying on a spring or summer day than a bountiful bowl of greens. I am now craving fresh veggies and fruit - I must have eaten nearly a whole bunch of radishes today alone. It's a relief.

Very early in my pregnancy when morning sickness was just rearing its ugly head, I had to attend a conference in New York City. Feeling a bit queasy one morning, I set out into mid-town searching for something healthy to eat and came upon a deli that had the most beautiful bowls of fresh berries. Perfect. Or so I thought. A few bites in, I started feeling a bit green. I decided to eat it slowly and took the bowl of fruit with me into my first session. A few more bites and that was it, I had to leave. Quickly, I grabbed my fruit, my bag, and made a bee-line to the ladies room. After I tossed the fruit - in more ways than one - I sent a text message to Scott.

"Baby does not like fruit."

He writes back, "Baby's a boy!"

And so, I've been without copious amounts of fruit and veg for the better part of two months now. I used to be a vegetarian, so this was kind of a big thing. Plus there was the whole meat aversion issue I was struggling with. So, my diet really consisted of carbs in various forms and lots of 'em. No wonder the poundage came on pretty easy.

So it's a nice change to crave a radish or two. And pineapple. And grapes. And salad. And yes, even a big bowl of fresh berries.

28 weeks, 3 days and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment