Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rainbow Connection

Something that some of my newer friends might not know about me is that I'm a singer. In fact, once upon a time, I thought I'd make a career out of it. And I was kind of good - I probably could have done something with it if I'd really stuck with it. But then, one day, I realized that I enjoy a steady paycheck and medical benefits and came to terms with letting go of that youthful dream. It sounds sad, doesn't it? It really isn't. You see, for a while there I was singing for all the wrong reasons. To impress others. For my shot at fame. To compete with the other music nerds in college. For members of my family who really loved seeing me up there. Really, I was singing for everyone but me. My heart just wasn't in it. So, when I decided to give it up, I also promised myself that someday I would sing again. It would be on my terms. And only I would know when that moment was right.

I think I've found it.

The past couple of weeks, I've been thinking about the songs I'd like to sing to our baby. I have a little list going in my head. Everything from lullabies to The Ramones. But I've been looking for those one or two special songs. Songs that mean something. That I can look back on when this child is 18 and we can sing it together and go back to some warm, special, and sentimental place.

As I work up my "top five hits" list, the one song that has risen to the top is the Kermit classic, "Rainbow Connection." Honestly, I'd forgotten about the song entirely. It is SUCH a great song! And I was such a Muppets fan growing up. I had Miss Piggy curtains in my bedroom. A friend of mine posted a video of Jason Mraz singing the song on Facebook. That drove me to YouTube to look for other versions, when I found this one:



Maybe it's the hormones, but I was all but sobbing at the end. Can't wait to start singing again - for an audience of one.

22 weeks, 3 days and counting...

1 comment:

  1. My best friend and the most amazing singer at my wedding- Lovely song choice! My song for Audrey is You Are My Sunshine. My grandpa used to sing it to me all the time and at night I just rock with Audrey and sing it to her and she falls right asleep- HEAVEN! Love you!

    ReplyDelete