Saturday, June 12, 2010

Maternity Leave



Originally uploaded by dooce
I've been thinking a lot about maternity leave lately - starting to mull over all my options and what my "back to work" plan might look like. Of course, it's hard to plan this early because anything could still happen. I could be on bed-rest for that last month. But I'm the kind of person who likes to have a plan, even if it just gets thrown out the window for another plan.

And now, I'm just going to get up on my soap box for a moment.

For a country that is so rooted in "family values", the U.S. really fails its families. The Family Medical Leave Act was a step in the right direction, sure, but we need to go beyond maintaining job security for a portion of our population that decides to start a family (or that experiences a family medical situation beyond their control) than just job security. FMLA only covers a portion of the jobs out there. Small business owners aren't subject to the law. And I can understand why, I do. It's damn expensive to cover an employee's salary and benefits for 12 weeks if they aren't actually working. Hell, it's expensive to let that employee go unpaid for 12 weeks and hold the position for them. I get it, I do. That's capitalism for ya.

But if you look at what other countries are doing for families, the U.S. is really behind. Really behind. Totally bringing up the rear. In fact, if you look at this chart of Maternity Leave in the Americas, we ARE the rear. Behind communist Cuba.

Go Amurrica.

I really do think we can do better, don't you?

I'll be doing a combination plan - what I think a lot of women end up doing.  Even though I work for a State funded institution of higher learning, I don't get paid maternity leave.  It's a huge bummer.  But I do have a lot of sick time and vacation time stock piled.  So, to get my basic 12 weeks, I'll use a little sick time, then for four to six weeks (depending on the type of delivery - C section gets you more), I'll get short-term disability, which pays 60% of my salary.  Then, I go back on sick leave until that's out.  Then, I start ticking down on vacation leave.  That should get us to about mid-February without having to take time off without pay.  But really - 12 weeks?  Is that all?  Really?  I mean it takes nine months to incubate this creature, don't you think we should get the same amount of time with them outside the womb to introduce them to this giant world?

22 weeks and counting...

1 comment:

  1. There is a lot wrong with the UK but when I read this I was pleased to be British... I am a teacher and am therefore entitled to six months paid maternity leave and can take up to a further six months off unpaid with my job held for me. Even when I worked in a corporate publishing role maternity cover at my company was five months pay with another month when you returned to work... and if your company can't match your salary while you're not at work they are legally required to pay to statutory maternity pay. Pregnancy and birth is not an illness! It should not be something you have to use your sick leave for! Great blog honey. xx

    ReplyDelete